Split ends are some of the most annoying things about hair that have ever existed. While there are many products that say they will fix your split ends, none of them actually can repair that much damage. At best, they can seal, smooth, and coat the break but it’s only a temporary fix. To fix split ends, avoid them. Here’s how.
1. Don’t brush wet hair. This will make your hair stretch, and if it’s wet, it can stretch up to 25%! This is when your hair is very vulnerable. Use a wide toothed comb to detangle your hair instead and comb very gently and evenly.
2. Avoid blow drying on a daily basis. This goes for curling irons, flat irons, and anything else that uses heat on your hair. Heat causes a lot of damage and will lead to split ends. If you can, let your hair air dry at least once a week.
3. Blot your hair with a towel rather then rubbing. Rubbing causes breaks and splits, so a gentle blot might take longer, but you’ll avoid the breaks.
4. If you have chemically treated your hair (colored, permed, or anything else) make sure you use products made for that. These products help repair damage and help to preventsplit ends.
5. Don’t use plain rubber bands on your hair. These damage hair and can even rip it out by the roots. Pick bands that actually are made for hair and that say “no damage.”
6. Eat healthy. A bad diet will show up first in your hair, and that is in the form of split ends and dryness.
7. Finally, get a trim every 6 to 8 weeks. This will get rid of weak ends and keep you from ever getting split ends. Not to mention it’ll get rid of the ones you might already have.